MARRIAGE PROPOSAL: IDEAS AND WHEN TO PLAN
The time has come to take the "big step": ask for the hand of your loved one! The planning of the marriage proposal is often a source of anxiety because you want to amaze your partner, without falling into the banal or (even worse) the grotesque.
The marriage proposal has very ancient origins: born in the Middle Ages, when the wedding corresponded to real contracts, stipulated between families, the act of asking your sweetheart in marriage has gradually transformed into a declaration of love eternal. Although it was the protagonist of a long and troubled process, today the proposal represents a romantic and unforgettable experience in the life of all future spouses.
In this article I will give you tips and original ideas for a "Will you marry me?" special!
THE ORIGINS OF THE PROPOSAL
Centuries ago, the marriage proposal was related to arranged marriages, an extremely widespread practice among the noble classes to seal alliances or extend their range of influence over the territory. Usually it was advanced by the father of the bride, who asked for the engagement with his daughter through a letter to the groom's parents. The bride's family was then responsible for the planning of the reception to formalize the engagement; this moment allowed families to get to know each other and, for the groom, to give the ring to his future wife. In the rare cases in which the girl and boy loved each other, it was customary for the young man to ask her father for the girl's hand, as a sign of respect towards her parents.
Over the years, the achievements of women's empowerment have eclipsed this custom, which is considered strongly macho. Today, in most countries, it is allowed to propose without first asking permission from the relatives of the future bride, even though arranged marriages still exist in some cultures.
TIPS FOR PLANNING THE MARRIAGE PROPOSAL
Good manners teach that there can be no marriage proposal without... the ring! The diamond solitaire is certainly "the classic" par excellence but other types are also allowed or even the family ring: handed down from generation to generation, this jewel also represents the wish for a long and lasting love, just as it is status for the previous wearer.
Once you have found the right ring, you will have to think about how to create a memorable marriage proposal. As hard as it is to hide your plans from the girl you share everything with, it will be worth it! She will probably hear "air of proposal" but do your best not to make her understand anything until the end.
Make sure you choose a date that allows you time to plan your proposal well. Usually, from the proposal to the wedding, it takes about a year or so; therefore, one possibility to decide "when to propose" is to consider the possible period of the year in which you know that she would like to get married avoiding sad anniversaries. The date of your marriage proposal should be special and deserve its own exclusivity.
Another aspect not to be underestimated concerns the moment of the day in which you have planned to make the proposal: think of a time/day of total relaxation. It would be inappropriate to kneel at her feet when she is hungry, tired or in a hurry. Also, after accepting the proposal, she will be over the moon and may want to share the good news with their loved ones right away! You will well understand that it would be difficult for her, if she had a business appointment or a binding commitment within a few minutes.
Another dilemma that torments many men: intimate or blatant marriage proposal? According to etiquette, this moment must remain private, away from prying and curious eyes as it represents a promise exchanged only between the two lovers. In case you prefer to opt for a public proposal, make sure you obtain the necessary municipal permits, especially if particular set-ups or special effects are planned for public areas. At the "highlight" moment you will kneel in front of your beloved, take her by the hand proclaiming your love and take her ring out of your pocket waiting for the answer!
ORIGINAL IDEAS FOR MARRIAGE PROPOSAL
The main fear of future spouses is that of falling into banality and not being able to ask for her hand in an original way without distorting the personality of the couple.
Don't worry: here are some ideas that might inspire you!
- A special place: the place where you met or that place where it all started, perhaps on your anniversary day. Remembering some particular anecdote, creating a common thread that traces your love story, will make the atmosphere even more moving!
- During a trip: give her a trip to her heart city or to that destination you've always wanted to visit. Once you arrive at your destination and find the right moment, ask her to spend the rest of your life together. You will already be in the perfect place for a romantic getaway;
- Serenade at home: if you have an "old-time" soul, or even better, if you know how to play an instrument, you can think of a serenade that will leave your loved one speechless! How can you say no, after such a passionate proposal?
- With a four-legged friend: if you are an animal lover and have a dog, turn him into your "special postman" for the delivery of the engagement ring! Tears and smiles as she says “Yes, I do” are guaranteed!
- At the cinema: rent a room, involve colleagues and people that she does not know (and who will act as "extras") and start a video created for the occasion on the screen, in which you are the protagonists! Surprise effect and affirmative answer guaranteed also in this case;
- An advertising space: buy a space in a magazine that she reads regularly or on a news website that she consults every day. You could ask the editorial staff to write an article that tells your love story, at the end of which the question "Will you marry me?" would appear. Your better half will be amazed and in terms of originality, it is a truly unconventional proposal.
From wedding proposals at high altitudes to those on the seashore, at the museum, on a hot air balloon or in the most evocative European cities, the possibilities and methods are many but remember that, to create an original proposal, even any scenography will carefully organized in order to create the perfect context to open your heart with an unforgettable statement!